My life with a Meat Man and Meat Kids

I love to make my own, well, ANYTHING! It's easy, may not always be cheaper but is defiantly always better for you. In this scary world of GMO's and toxic processed food, I am really trying hard to make homemade. We even have chickens that lay eggs for the fam lol. I am a mom of two girls ages 4 and 2 and they are very active. I also work too, so these meals are packed with nutrition and fast and inexpensive to do. Hope this blog helps some mama's (and papas) out there trying to feed our selves with healthy food on a budget and fast! Oh and why Veggie Woman Vs. Meat Man? Because I am a mom, and I am always trying to get my husband (who is more difficult than my kids) to eat more Veggies by making them more tastey or sneaking them into the foods I make te he. Enjoy!



Friday, May 13, 2011

Ceviche



I know this is not vegitarian but I really love ceviche and have been traditionally making it for a long time and it also has memories from my hubby and I when we went to mexico.

Ceviche is an authentic Mexican dish. It is made using any type of raw fish and is “cooked” in an acidic liquid, such as lemons and limes. The acidity in the limes and lemons actually cooks the fish overnight. This is a great summer dish for parties or an appetizer and will just get better over time in the refrigerator. Serve with tortilla chips or pita chips. This is a very versatile dish however, you can make it how you want, and it is done in many ways.


3 limes
3 lemons
1 lb of white seafood (shrimp, scallops, sea bass, catfish, flounder, halibut, you can put one of these in or mix and match)
1 tsp (or 2 if you dare) of Tabasco sauce or any hot sauce you like
1 green pepper chopped
1 onion chopped
3 roma tomatoes chopped
3-4 jalapeƱo peppers chopped (seeds taken out) unless you like it hot
1 bunch of cilantro
1tsp white pepper
2 tsp sea salt
You can put a pinch of coriander and or nutmeg in this also, it’s up to you


Instructions

Squeeze the limes and lemons into a bowl big enough to put everything into. Chop all your seafood into 1 inch chunks or smaller (remember these are going on tortilla chips). Place chopped seafood into bowl of lemons and limes. Chop up half the cilantro and put into bowl with seafood. Put in spices and Tabasco. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for a couple of hours. Then Chop all your veggies. Make sure to chop it right because you don’t want mushy vegetables. Then put your veggies in with the marinated seafood. It’s ok that the seafood isn’t cooked yet, it will be, but you need to let the veggies marinate along with it. Stir. Then when ready to serve chop up rest of cilantro and throw it in. Drain any major liquid out and serve with chips of your choice.

Tip: life takes up too much time, when I do this dish I usually go to the salad bar and get the onions already chopped for me and the green peppers already sliced, and the tomatoes. This makes it much faster! I do the same when I want to make pizza. The salad bar aint’ just for salads anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment