My life with a Meat Man and Meat Kids

I love to make my own, well, ANYTHING! It's easy, may not always be cheaper but is defiantly always better for you. In this scary world of GMO's and toxic processed food, I am really trying hard to make homemade. We even have chickens that lay eggs for the fam lol. I am a mom of two girls ages 4 and 2 and they are very active. I also work too, so these meals are packed with nutrition and fast and inexpensive to do. Hope this blog helps some mama's (and papas) out there trying to feed our selves with healthy food on a budget and fast! Oh and why Veggie Woman Vs. Meat Man? Because I am a mom, and I am always trying to get my husband (who is more difficult than my kids) to eat more Veggies by making them more tastey or sneaking them into the foods I make te he. Enjoy!



Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Mushroom Pate


This was so very yummy! My hubby hates mushrooms, so I invited my mushroom loving mommy over for this appetizer and then we had a mushroom and spinach pie I made (recipe forthcoming). Oh, the reason for so many mushroom dishes is this sweet lady brings veggies by my husbands shop and this time she brought a huge bag full of yummy shrooms.

  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1 1/2 cups shiitake mushrooms, stems trimmed, wiped clean and coarsely chopped
  • 1  1/2 cups portabella or oyster mushrooms or white button or cremini
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 handful of walnuts
  • 1 teaspoon truffle oil or olive oil or grape seed oil
  • 4 ounces softened cream cheese
  • 4 ounces softened goat cheese


In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft  about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until wilted and starting to brown. Add the wine, thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring, until the wine is nearly all evaporated, 5 minutes. Add whatever oil you have chosen, any will do except vegetable oil of course. Place everything in a food processor and add the cheese while processing, combining well. Then refrigerate at least an hour.

This is so yummy on your favorite cracker, what me and my mom did was spread a little goat cheese over the cracker and topped it off with the mushroom pate, oh it was heavenly! By the way you can use whatever mushrooms you like and have on hand. You could also after a couple of days of eating and your bored add some kalamata olives and put a couple tablespoons over some pasta, yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment